South Africa needs to be cleaned up and we need to act now. We can’t wait for someone else to take action. We need a revolution of responsible consumers who can, one-at-a-time, make small changes for big results. Together, we can make a difference by committing to recycling our plastic packaging.
And why recycle, specifically? Because it has a myriad of benefits that are far-reaching, from protecting our environment to strengthening our economy. Read on to find out more.
Protecting the Environment
- Recycling saves on natural resources. When we use or include recycled materials in the production process, it reduces the amount of water, ingredients and raw materials that are required for production. Recyclable materials can be used over and over again.
- Recycling reduces the amount of waste we send to our country’s landfills. Separate your kitchen waste from your recyclables. That way, the recycler can use your recyclable plastic to make a whole range of different products.
Benefiting People’s Livelihoods
- Recycling plastics provides more than 60 000 jobs in South Africa, from the person who collects your recyclables to the person who recycles it in a whole range of different products. In fact, in 2018, the plastics industry provided direct employment to more than 7800 people and created a further 58 500 income-generating jobs.
The Value of Recycling
- Used packaging has value as it can be recycled to produce a whole new range of products.
Strengthens our Economy
- In 2018, the purchasing of recyclable plastic waste injected R2.3 billion into our informal sector.
So now you know the benefits of recycling, you will surely want to know how you can get involved. See how easy recycling can be with this ‘How to Recycle’ guide.
Pledge your commitment to recycling your plastic packaging by signing up to the Million Plus Plastic Recycling Revolution here and inviting your friends and family to do the same.
Happy recycling, Revolutionaries!